Crossword Solver Basics
BoLS Crosswords has several Crossword solvers and anagram word finders. Here are the basics to these tools and how to get the most out of them.
Crossword Finder - Anagram Solver - Word Finder
Our most popular online tool. This tool is designed to accept a set of between 1 and 15 letters and their positions on the crossword grid, and output a list of all possible words based on the dictionary.
1) Enter the length of the crosswords answer
2) Enter the known letters and their positions within the answer length (you must enter at least 1 letter for the crossword solver to work).
3) Press the "Search for Answer" button.
The tool will display a list of all matching words, along with how much time the search took, and the definitions of each word. If your search returned more than 10 words, they will be displayed 10 at a time, and you can use the provided links to go from page to page. You may have to scroll down to see later words on a page if some of them have many definitions.
4) Press the "clear" button to clear out the letter entry fields. To prepare for a new search.
Crossword Dictionary Lookup
This popular tool helps you confirm words you are uncertain about quickly during a puzzle. It will quickly confirm whether or not that is a valid word in several popular dictionaries.
1) Enter the word in question in the text entry field.
2) Press the "Search" button.
The tool will display the definitions of the word if it is found in our crossword dictionary. A red square indicates the entered word was not found in the dictionary.
3) Press the "clear" button to clear out the word entry fields, while still displaying the results of the last search. This feature allows you to prepare for the next search quickly while still taking note of the previous results.
Remember the #1 rule of BoLS Crosswords. Our online crosswords word finders and tools are designed to improve your game, and make you a stronger player. They should be used to hone your skills play, or with the guidance of an experienced player who is helping you improve your game. They should never be used to give you and edge if you are solving crosswords in a competitive environment against other players.
Have fun out there, and best wishes on growing into the strongest crossword puzzle player you can be!